CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mmmmm..Apples!!

Ok so I haven't blogged in a while mostly because life keeps me running non-stop.I've been a busy girl  doing our canning for the year.It's getting into the fall apple season and you know what that means..apple pie,apple crisp,apply jelly,caramel apple's,apple sauce,apple butter..well you get it ..it's all about the APPLES!!!I went out and bought 50 lbs of macintosh apples that were on sale for $3.99 a bag at BJ's and turned 32 lbs of that that into 12 jars of applesauce & 6 jars of applebutter.If you've never made apple butter it is so worth the 12-14 hours  it takes to cook it down,way better than the stuff you buy in the store.I'd put the exact written recipe here but as with most recipe's I follow I winged it with amounts and that's the cool thing about recipes you can tweak them to your hearts delight to make them your own.First you need a crock pot,you can cook it in a dutch oven or on the stove top but because of the time needed crock pot is your best bet.I started with a cupful of spiced apple cider 2 cups of my homeade applesauce,filled the crock almost to the top with sliced apple<if you cut it more into "chips" it cooks down a little faster,added about a cup of sugar to start,some cinnamon,nutmeg,allspice & cloves,set it to low for 8-10 hours,stirring here & there and then crank it up to high for another 4 hours or so.You'll know when it's done when your spoon stands straight up & down or if you pull it thru and the applebutter doesn't fill back into the space.After that you can tweak your sugar & spices to taste while your butter is still hot ..I got 8 1/2 pints out of mine so plenty to last awhile and it makes a great gift basket addition.My next venture will be pumpkin butter but being early September pie pumpkin's aren't out yet so I'm being patient ......and then I will post a blog killing you with everything PUMPKIN...until then enjoy them apples:)

0 comments: